We’ve finally made it to the end of European legends and mythological creatures. Next week we’ll be venturing over to East Asia to see what sort of creatures and legends we can inspire you to incorporate into your writing!
Onto this week, though! Could we have found what inspired the Creature from the Black Lagoon?
Vodník | Czech Republic
- The appearance of the Vodník varies…from a man with webbed hands and gills to a humanoid frog. The description of this creature depends on the location of the myth. His story gets around!
- On the side of good or evil? The Vodník can be aligned with either. But the bad ones are the recorded ones. They try to drown people who are in their territory!
- To pass the time, this creature likes to play cards, smoke pipes, or just hang out near the water and overlook their home.
- Sometimes, fisherman give the spirit tobacco as a trade for fish.
- They don’t have a mentioned home…but sea water is deadly for them! Just speculating, not confirmed.