Cerberus | Greece
“Multi-headed hellhound that guards the entrance to the underworld.”
- Prevents the dead from leaving the Underworld.
- We know the Cerberus as a three-headed dog, but most early depictions show the Cerberus as a regular-sized dog with one to two heads.
- Described to have a serpent for a tail, snakes protruding from parts of its body, and mostly a hound.
- Cerberus was rumored to have surfaced on Earth but returned by its own will to the Underworld to serve Hades.
- Cerberus’ name derived from the Greek word “creoboros,” which translates to “flesh-devouring.“