Last week, we wrapped up our ‘Word’ series and spent a few days wondering what in the world would we share next? Let’s not waste any more time then!
We are talking about the creatures of mythology, who sometimes make appearances in novels and our writing. Let’s talk about Europe first.
“Warrior woman who chooses who dies or lives in battle.”
- Got her powers from Odin (yeah, one of the Gods from Norse Mythology.)
- Very noble characters. This is reflected in their appearance (statuesque, very fair skin, golden or jet black hair.)
- May sprout wings or wear feathered capes. Depends on the story being told.
- More in tune with human “weaknesses” (i.e. jealous, act on revenge, etc.)
- Magical people? In some cases, yes! It’s up to your digression. (Hint: they were mortals then were chosen by Odin…that says something.)
- Notable Valkyries: Brynhildr, Svava
Sharing mythological facts sounds like a great idea! I’m looking forward to hearing more on the topic.
Great post. My main character in my current work in progress is a Valkyrie. I love that their weaknesses mirror our own. The inner battle is as fierce as the wars they fight in.
Yes! They are the probably the most interesting humanoid creature out of our entire list. So exciting to know you’re WIP features one! 🙂